These are the ancient church ruins of St Cuthberts on the Ballytober Road in County Antrim. The church dates from the late 1630s and was built on the site of a much older medieval church. St Cuthberts was a place of worship for Protestant settlers in the area, but it is credited as having been provided by Catholics; namely, Lady Katherine Manners, wife of the first Earl of Antrim, Randall McDonnell, and widow of the late Marquess of Buckingham. It is, therefore, a rare example of church tolerance in this region at that time.
The church served the Parish of Dunluce from 1622-1821 when the new Church of St. John the Baptist was built in Bushmills. It originally had a thatched roof, but as was the custom, it was then unroofed and the contents sold at auction.
The graveyard surrounding the church includes the remains of some sailors and noblemen who drowned when the ill-fated Spanish Armada ship, Girona, sank nearby in 1588, at what became known as Port na Spaniagh (or the Bay of the Spanish). It wasn’t until 1967 that the wreck of the Girona was discovered by Belgian diver, Robert Stenuit.
Thatched cottage near Oughterard, Connemara, County Galway
Athenry Abbey, County Galway
North Atlantic Ocean from Portballintrae, County Antrim
Lough Navar from Aghameelan Viewpoint,County Fermanagh
Path near Castlerock, County Antrim
Castlerock clifftop looking towards Mussenden Temple, County Antrim
A foggy morning at Portrush Strand, County Antrim
Athlone Castle, St Peter and Paul Cathedral, River Shannon, County Westmeath
Newcastle Beach, County Down, with the Mountains of Mourne
Clough Castle, County Down, with Mourne Mountains in background
In the sixteenth century, the ruined ‘keep’ was rebuilt as a tower house. The castle sits on a 25ft artificial mound, giving a vantage point for lovely views over the surrounding countryside, including the Mourne Mountains.